Monday, July 20, 2009

Last Days on Öland


Traditional hat photo
Originally uploaded by GailJ.
My last days in Sweden are coming to an end. Yesterday, we took a quick road trip to Kosta Boda glass works. We saw the glass blowing and did a lot of shopping. Of course, I wanted to find a pitcher that matches my glassware I already have, but I could not find the tulip pattern in a pitcher. Actually, I found only 1 pitcher and I didn't like it, but I sure managed to find other things I find. Since it is heavy and I don't want to carry anything more, I sent it home. I also found something for Donna, who will be 50 in a few short weeks. Donna, keep your eyes open for a package!!! Oh, Happy Birthday, early.

Today, after spending all my money at Kosta Boda, we drove to Eketrop, which is on the south, east side of the island. Eketrop is a medieval fort that was later taken over by the Vikings. As usual, Mimmi and I, along with Alice, took the traditional hat photo. Of course, I do this, mostly with the kids, everywhere I go.

On this same trip, we went off road to a lighthouse. We don't have 4 wheel drive, so it was a big adventure. The lighthouse turned out to be private property, so we never made it there, but stopped by the sea shore and took pictures of the many swans that were there. It is the Baltic Sea. The water smelled real bad and we kind of red in color. I think there was something blooming that made it that way. It was also super windy. I guess it is always like that too.

Tomorrow we hop the train for Copenhagen and Camilla. So, next update will be Denmark. So, this is good-bye from Sweden. We have had a wonderful time with both Laudon-Meyer and Nilsson Families. Thank you all for your hospitality! I can't wait to come again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You photos are so great Gail!
I am so jealous of you! I want to be in Sweden too! Just like Minnesota. :-) Derek

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you! Off to Denmark!