Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Trip to the West Coast


Lighthouse at Blåvand
Originally uploaded by GailJ.
Time is starting to run out here in Denmark. Only 5 days remain of my trip. The time has gone by so fast.
On Sunday, Ane Marie, Michael, Kristian and Johan took me to the nature area in Odense where we took a boat to the city center. The Odense Å (a canal really) was a fun little trip into the cit where we strolled and looked around. We enjoyed the afternoon just relaxing and strolling. There of course were the swans in the canal and fun swan boats to be rented as well. I can see why HC Andersen wrote about them in his fairy tales. For those who don't know, Hans Christian Andersen is from Odense. I didn't go see his house this time, since I was there before. Maybe if I get ambitious, I will get the pictures up from the last visit. Preben still has them on the computer.
Monday was a more relaxing day. Michael, Kristian and I walked over to the Rosengard Center and did a little window shopping. Nope, I didn't buy anything there. Scary, I went shopping, I know!
Today was another adventure day. Preben suggested we drive to the West Coast of Denmark, which is on the mainland. It is only about 2 hours from Odense. I have never been there before, so this was a new adventure for me. Preben told me that if you haven't been to the West Coast, you haven't seen Denmark. I don't know about that, but I was glad we went.
It has finally gotten to be a perfect day and we drove west. We arrived in Blåvand, which is a cute little coast town that I can say, you must see! (Barb, this is where you will want to go for several days). It was a bit windy and we climbed to the top of the lighthouse. Only 150 steps, but it is getting me in shape for the Statue of Liberty! From the top, we would see in the far distance the windmills that are in the sea and ships sailing off to England. Below us on the beach, were ruins of WWII German bunkers that were built to keep a watchful eye out for the British. They made a nice viewing spot for the beach. Apparently, this is still a place for Germans to visit. It was a very crowded little town and once again, I found myself pulled into a Pilgram store.
That is about it for now. I will continue for a few more days, before heading home. I hope that you are enjoying my adventures and the pictures.

No comments: